Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Greetings

Hello out there in cyberspace. This is my first time trying something like this, but, it seems like a good way to get some attention to my causes, though it could also fail miserably. My name is Kat. The main reason I have decided to Blog in regards to activism and service animals is simple, I am tired of being discriminated against and it was something proactive or something destructive.

Recently I hit the figurative wall on how much discrimination I will allow, and it did not take much. Being threatened by the police illegally for trying to pick up medication has put me on the warpath, so I am going to hopefully share ideas, resources, tips, and information with others. This blog will contain legal information but any ideas or advice you follow with in this blog is up to you, it is your choice and I am not legally liable for the concequences. The main body of that information will be the law itself, changes to the law, loopholes in the law, and how to follow these laws. All of the laws addressed will be in relation to persons with disabilities, and most likely service animals.

My service animal is an Egyptian Mau/Abyssinian cross who was rescued. I often joke that my rescue cat rescued me. I have multiple disabilities, though they are all physical, and my cat and I have adapted a system to deal with them. Yes, you really can train cats. They are independent creatures, and this may make them the wrong candidate for a service animal for some people, but, I am not one who likes constant contact and I am at times unable to physically even touch my cat. I have a broken back, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, a rare connective tissue disorder which in my case causes extreme tissue fragility, joint mobility etc etc. My back is not treatable and both conditions together have caused a great deal of degeneration.

It all sounds sad, to some people but I prefer to fight to keep myself active and independent. That is another reason for this blog, by forcing legal compliance with in the government, businesses large and small, and the world at large I can still do what I need and want by myself. I am not isolated but it is nice to have something other than please and thank you to say to other people. I am cutting myself short here, I am a ranter as you can see, but I hope to learn with you. I am learning, my cat is always learning, and I hope above all else to make the world a more equal place. We can all learn from one another, so, lets smash that champagne bottle on the Good ship Pawseverance!

No comments: